Friday, February 28, 2014

About me:


About me:

When I was little I had a great aunt who was a big part of my life, especially after my grandmother passed away. I was always fascinated that she could take a ball of yarn and make these intricate blankets and clothes and scarves and whatever else she could think of. She loved to crochet.  She taught me how to do some basic stitches and I remember being so proud when I finally mastered a chain. There had to be 100 ft of chain wrapping around her living room. My great aunt was one of the strongest women I have ever known. I could not think of a better role model. I wish my children would’ve been able to know her. She loved crochet and she loved to garden. Their parents died young and she practically raised her brothers including my grandfather. She was afraid of nothing and she worked hard every day growing her own food and making beautiful things for all of us. She passed away when I was 11.

The years moved on and I grew up and had a child of my own. After a while I started wanting to learn to crochet again. I wanted to learn how to make blankets and toys for my own kids. I found some great videos online that were easy to follow along with. Once I mastered a granny square there was no stopping me. I began a blanket, which took me almost 3 years to finish. I was working full time, commuting an hour each way and raising a child. Free time was something I never had enough of.

During this time, I began having health issues that lead to me being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. A few months later I was forced to stop working and became a stay at home mom. Once my daughter started school, I found myself with free time. More than I knew what to do with. I also found myself in a very stressful 2 year battle with trying to get approved for disability.  I found crocheting was a great stress reliever as was painting.

I continue to learn new stitches. I am no expert by any means. The real reason I even started this blog was because I lost my Creepy Cute Crochet book and could not find the grim reaper pattern my daughter wanted online anywhere without people trying to charge money for it. It made me angry enough to freehand it and write out the pattern as I went. I don’t feel anyone should ever charge money for a pattern they did not come up with. And personally, I do not charge money for any patterns because I like being able to share my work and find new patterns to try.

As I was looking through the pictures on my computer I found pictures from projects I had long ago forgotten about. I figured I would share some of these projects and some of these patterns for anyone who may be interested in trying it out for themselves.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment